Σάββατο 17 Οκτωβρίου 2009

Rhino (HolyHell,Ex-Manowar) Interview

Rhino is someone that needs no introduction.Being the drummer of Manowar for Five years and now playing for HolyHell he has travelled through out the world pounding his Drums!!This Interview was back at 2007 before Rhino reunited with Manowar for some live gigs!
Listen To The Drums Of Doom!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

HC:Hello Rhino how are things at the other side of ocean?
Rhino: At the moment I’m doing a lot of session work. I have my own studio at home and people sent me their music files and I put the drums on. I’m also involved in producing. Its been a very hot summer but now I am looking forward to the cool fall.

HC:As far as I know you have released a cd single with Holyhell which includes 4 songs/tracks. Are you satisfied with the production. What is the response of the people / fans
Rhino: I am satisfied with the production. Of course I would have done things a bit different. A lot of times I get in the situation were what someone else thinks sounds killer , My opinion is different.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


HC:Listening to your songs I noticed that you are using orchestral parts . How did you come up with this idea? Was it something that you wanted since the beginning?
Rhino: The orchestral thing in metal has been around for a while now. I wrote and Recorded An Entire Rock Opera With All Kinds Of Orchestration. I Did This 10 years ago. I thought it was really original back then. now its in almost all bands that tour Europe . Joey DeMaio is the mastermind behind Holyhell and he really loves the orchestral involvements.


HC:One thing I would like to know is who had the great idea to invite Eric to perform/participate in the cover of the phantom of the opera. I was lucky enough to see it at the gig in Athens on 4rth of April and I can honestly tell you that it was a great moment.
Rhino: Collectively we all thought it would be cool for Eric to sing with us...Why not? We could and he is the Greatest Heavy Metal Singer!


HC:Are there any plans for a future release? A full-length Album or an E. P. ? Are you already working on some ideas?
Rhino: We have music already prepared for release but I’m not sure when that will Be.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


HC:Your Band is signed in the Magic Circle Music.Magic Circle Music is runned by Joey DeMaio, How's things there?
Rhino: Real cool. Joey is a great guy and has a ton of ideas. He really likes to help bands become something great.

HC:Let's talk about the 5 years you have been with Manowar. How would you describe the connection you have. Do you still consider yourself to be a blood brother with the members of the band?
Rhino: Those guys are like my second family. I was actually in the band 6 years. I have always kept some kind of communication with them. We have so much in Common. me and Joey have huge respect for one another. I'm always so excited when we all get back together to start working again. It means so much to me to always be a part of those guys lives.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Manowar at Acropolis

HC:Could you share with us a couple of magical moments that occured while you were playing in Manowar while you were a member of Manowar?
Rhino: The first show in Kassel Germany 1992. I was fucking blown away a how huge the crowd was. I never knew the real popularity of the band in Europe. Also being in Europe for the first time was mind blowing. To this day I leave my heart there. I want to move to Germany someday.

HC:When You appeard With Manowar in the early 90ies Lots Of People couldn't believe how fast you were(and you will always be)at the double bass drum.They had started telling that Manowar are using drum Machine but in many live appearances you proved them wrong. Do you remember those times? Personally I won't forget the Armor Of The Gods drum solo in Athens at 1994.
Rhino: Yep. I know what people thought. But like you said. I delivered all of that live and I still do. It’s not always easy because you really have to go over the top. The secret is having your kick drums loud as fuck in the monitors right next to your ear. And stay as relaxed as possible while your kicking.

HC:Which are the songs from Manowar And HollyHell That you love to playing live in every gig?
Rhino: I like playing apocalypse cause its fast and intense. Blood Of My Enemies is my favourite MANOWAR song.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


HC:In the EarthShaker live you appeared in stage with manowar and all the past members. How was the feeling of getting back on stage with your old friends?
Rhino: Like time stood still. You know after I left MANOWAR in 1995 I stayed in my studio and wrote my opera. It took five years to complete. I had my son ZACHERY in 2000, I didn’t tour or do anything but raise him. For 15 years I was out of the loop then HOLYHELL and MANOWAR reunion came about. I was completely neside myself!


HC:Is it true that Scott Columbus was working on something like a blacksmith before sit behind the drumkit of manowar?And is it true that he wasn't a drummer before Join manowar?
Rhino: Not sure about the blacksmith thing. But I know he has always been a drummer.

HC:I ask that because everyone who is a drummer can realise that Scott all this years in manowar his drumming is based on 3,4 basic drumming skills.

Rhino: HE IS A BEAT MASTER!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


HC:You have a seven years old son.Does your son follows your drumming steps?
Rhino: Zachery is into all the instruments. But I think he has a knack for the bass. My God he loves Metal! When he was a baby he would be in the back seat banging his head to JUDAS PRIEST and IRON MAIDEN. Unfortunately he is obsessed with Green Day now. But he really likes Rob Zombie too.

HC:Which are the drummers who inspired you
Rhino: Steve Smith
Dean Castranova
Tommy Aldridge
Scott Travis
Dennis Chambers

HC:Rhino Thanx for the interview.You cannot imagine how big honour is for me to speak with the one who make me(and not only me) to sit behind the drumkit.
Rhino: Its an honour for me to my friend. Thank You!

interview by L-Drac

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

L-Drac And Rhino At March Metal Day Festival April 04 2007

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου